Assistive Technology Engineer
Full-Time // Remote
The Assistive Technology Engineer is a member of TPGi’s User Experience (UX) Practice, with the primary responsibility of contributing to delivering TPGi’s JAWS Scripting and Kiosk Consultancy services.
- JAWS Scripting: Providing TPGi clients with specialist JAWS scripting support, from problem identification to scripting development and testing with end users.
- Kiosk consultancy: Providing TPGi clients with specialist support in implementing JAWS text-to-speech functionality on kiosks, tablets, and self-service terminals. This includes researching kiosk functionality, preparing installation and configuration files for JAWS, and working with clients to test
- Providing training to clients on using JAWS and other Vispero assistive technologies
- Contributing to technical research and testing of ways in which JAWS scripting can support the screen reader user experience
- Publicity and knowledge-sharing activities, such as writing blog posts, recording short instructional videos, and giving conference talks
- Contributing to other UX Practice services as required, including design reviews and user research projects
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
Bachelor of Science or equivalent qualification
- Extensive knowledge and experience of JAWS and JAWS scripting
- Thorough understanding of digital accessibility principles and standards, including W3C WCAG, Section 508, and EN 301549
- Experience conducting accessibility audits of web and software applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to lead conversations with clients
- Ability to balance working on multiple concurrent projects while meeting project deadlines
- Knowledge and experience of Zoomtext, Dragon Naturally Speaking and other assistive technology
- Knowledge of and experience in applying US and international standards for kiosk accessibility, including relevant Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) standards, Air Carrier Access Act, Voluntary Voting System Guidelines, CSA B651.1 and CAN/CSA B651.2
- Knowledge and experience of user research methods with a focus on user experience for people with disabilities
This role is a remote position but will require flexibility for regular travel for on-site work at client locations in the US and Canada.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
The typical salary range for this position is USD $100,000 – $120,000 depending on experience and can vary.
If you have a passion for excellence and want to work with an outstanding team of experts working in an exciting, challenging, fast-paced environment for the world’s leading assistive technology company, please send your resume to Careers@TPGi.com
Vispero and TPGi actively seeks to develop greater levels of diversity in our workforce and in our pipeline of future employees. We are committed to attract and retain candidates who have a passion for their work and encourage all individuals to apply. Vispero is an Equal Opportunity Employer.